This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #MazolaHeartHealth #CollectiveBias
Because I’m always looking for ways to eat better without sacrificing any flavor I am really excited to be partnering with Mazola® Corn Oil to share my one of my favorite recipes with you! In this recipe for Grilled Shrimp Tacos with Cilantro Lime Slaw I swap out a few ingredients for better-for-you options – like using protein packed Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise and swapping out olive oil for heart healthy Mazola® Corn Oil. A clinical study showed Mazola Corn Oil reduces cholesterol 2x more than extra virgin olive oil (To learn more about this claim, visit Mazola.com).
Mazola Corn Oil is an all-purpose, cholesterol free cooking oil that is a smart heart-healthy* choice for your family. *See Mazola.com for more information on the relationship between corn oil and heart health. It has a variety of uses include baking, grilling, sauteing, stir frying, or mixing up a marinade or dressing.
February is Heart Health Month after all, and what better way to show your family some love than serving up a delicious, better-for-you meal? Grilling is one of my favorite ways to combine amazing flavor and healthier meals, and these grilled shrimp tacos don’t disappoint. Warm tortillas are filled with marinated grilled shrimp, avocado, fresh tomato and a homemade slaw with a creamy Greek yogurt dressing.
You’ll love how easy this recipe is too! This entire meal can be ready in 30 minutes or less. Just marinate your shrimp for 15 minutes in a mixture of spices and Mazola Corn Oil, then toss them on the grill while you whip up a tasty cilantro lime slaw. Serve with plenty of fresh toppings and soft tortillas for a mouth-watering meal.
A Few Tips For Making Perfect Shrimp Tacos & Slaw:
- Pat your shrimp dry before adding it to the marinade. Although it might seem like an unnecessary step, the marinade will coat dry shrimp better and boost the flavor of your finished dish! Simply grab some paper towels and blot both sides of the shrimp.
- Shrimp cooks very quickly, so don’t step away during this step! Shrimp is cooked as soon as it turns pink, and cooking it any longer will make for tough seafood. Typically, it takes 2-3 minutes per side to cook shrimp over medium heat, but it can take less – so stay close!
- Prepare your slaw first, then chop all your vegetables. Cook the shrimp last, so that you can serve them up while still warm.
- To keep your avocado from turning brown, brush lime juice all over it and cover with cling wrap until you’re ready to serve it.
- This recipe can easily serve a crowd – just double the marinade for each extra pound of shrimp you plan to cook!
- To save even more time use a 14 oz bag of coleslaw mix instead of shredding your own cabbage.
My Favorite Kitchen Tools Used In This Recipe:
- Stainless Steel Skewers
- Food Processor
- Garlic Mincer
- Tomato Knife
- Salad Tongs
- Large Skillet
- Large Serving Platter
Why Choose Mazola Corn Oil over other oils or butter?
- According to the American Heart Association replacing saturated fat, like that found in coconut oil, with polyunsaturated fat, like corn oil, to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease by 30 percent.
- It’s easy to replace saturated fats that are known to contribute to heart disease with unsaturated fats, especially polyunsaturated fats, like those in Mazola Corn Oil. According to the USDA, corn oil has more than five times the amount of polyunsaturated fats compared to olive oil. A clinical study showed Mazola Corn Oil reduces cholesterol 2x more than extra virgin olive oil. To learn more about this claim, visit Mazola.com.
- Mazola Corn Oil has more cholesterol-blocking plant sterols than other cooking oils – four times more than olive oil and one and a half times more than canola oil. Clinical studies indicate that when consumed as part of a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol, plant sterols can help reduce the absorption of cholesterol in the gut. A clinical study showed Mazola Corn Oil reduces cholesterol 2x more than extra virgin olive oil. To learn more about this claim, visit Mazola.com.
- Mazola has a high smoke point of 450°F and performs well in a variety of cooking applications, including baking, sauteing, roasting, grilling and stir frying.
How To Make Grilled Shrimp Tacos with Cilantro Lime Slaw:
Start with 1 lb of fresh shrimp, patted dry. In a medium bowl, combine 2 tbs Mazola Corn Oil, 2 cloves minced garlic, chili powder, cumin, onion powder and salt. Add shrimp and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
In a large bowl mix together greek yogurt, lime juice, lime zest, cilantro and minced garlic. Add shredded cabbage and mix well. Cover and refrigerate.
Chop tomatoes, quarter fresh limes and slice avocado. Brush avocado with lime juice and wrap in saran wrap to prevent browning. Set aside.
Place shrimp on skewers and grill over medium heat 2-4 minutes, turning halfway through, until just pink. If you aren’t using a grill you can saute the shrimp in a skillet. Place the shrimp in a single layer over medium heat, about 2 minutes per side.
Remove the shrimp and serve immediately. Fill flour or corn tortillas with cilantro lime slaw, shrimp, tomatoes and avocado. Give them a good squeeze of lime and serve them up warm!
What to serve on the side of Grilled Shrimp Tacos with Cilantro Lime Slaw?
- Roasted or Grilled Seasonal Veggies
- Grilled Corn on the Cob
- White Rice
- Spanish Rice
- Tomato & Basil Salad
- Italian Pasta Salad
Ready to dig in? Print the recipe below!
Grilled Shrimp Tacos with Cilantro Lime Slaw
Flavorful grilled shrimp tacos and a creamy cilantro lime slaw.
For the Shrimp Tacos
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 Tbsp Mazola Corn Oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, mined
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Avocado, sliced
- 1 Fresh Tomato, chopped
- Fresh Limes, quartered
- flour or corn tortillas
- Skewers for grilling shrimp
Cilantro Lime Slaw
- 2 Cup Shredded Cabbage (or 1 bag coleslaw mix)
- 1 Cup Plain Nonfat Greek Yogurt
- 1/4 Cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Lime, juiced and zested
- Salt, to taste
Make The Slaw
Place two cups or shredded cabbage in a large bowl.
In a separate bowl combine the greek yogurt, 2 cloves minced garlic, chopped cilantro, fresh lime juice and lime zest. Mix well (for a smoother dressing, pulse for 20 seconds in a food processor).
Add Salt to taste.
Pour the dressing over the cabbage and mix well to coat.
Refrigerate until serving.
Cook The Shrimp
In a small bowl combine 2 cloves minced garlic, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, salt and 2 Tablespoons Mazola Corn Oil.
Add shrimp and toss to coat. Cover and place in the refrigerator to marinate for at least 15 minutes (and up to overnight).
Arrange shrimp on skewers for grilling.
Coat grill grates with remaining Mazola Corn Oil.
If you aren't using a grill shrimp can be sauteed in a single layer using a skillet on the stovetop.
Cook shrimp over medium heat until they just turn pink, about 2 minutes per side.
Remove the shrimp from the skewers to serve.
Serve shrimp with fresh tomatoes, sliced avocado, cilantro lime slaw, quartered limes and warm tortillas.