You may have noticed lately that fall seems to start a little earlier every year – maybe not in the weather, but in every other way. Stores replace racks of sandals and shorts with cozy sweaters and boots even though the temperatures are still better for swimming than bonfires, and pumpkin spice everything starts popping up on shelves by mid-August! Personally – I am not complaining. I’m already over summer by July, so the rest of the warm weather months are pretty much spent in anticipating of fall and I’ll take whatever I can get!
I don’t understand how anyone could not anticipate fall – the smell of crisp air and the feeling of a cozy sweater, the changing leaves, apple picking, bonfires, Halloween… it’s pretty much our reward for surviving mosquitoes and not drowning all summer long. Once in a while, when we have one of those really nice, cool summer nights, I make this amazing Pumpkin Spice Latte & Coffee Syrup and enjoy a homemade PSL while wrapped up in a blanket on the front porch.
And once fall really does roll around you can count on finding a jar of the Pumpkin Spice Latte & Coffee Syrup in my fridge 24/7! A homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte and some of my uncle’s famous cornbread with whipped pumpkin honey butter is just about one of my favorite things to wake up to!
I love this syrup for a few reasons: First of all, it’s all natural. Nothing but pumpkin, sugar and spices here. I like knowing exactly what’s in my food and I get to skip all the chemical fillers and preservatives! It’s so easy to customize your drink when you make your own syrup too… some morning I want just a hint of pumpkin spice flavor and some days I’ll use two tablespoons or more for a sweeter treat. I use the syrup in tea as well, for a less caffeinated fix.
And let’s just talk for a second about how much money this saves! A Pumpkin Spice Latte can run you upwards of $4.00 a cup. For that price you can have weeks worth of this syrup! And I don’t have to leave the house for it!
Making this syrup is simple and will only take about 10 minutes, then keeps in the fridge for up to a month. When you’re craving a pumpkin spice pick me up just stir a tablespoon or two into your hot coffee (or tea!) and enjoy!
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons canned pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie mix. You can also use fresh roasted and pureed pumpkin!)
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- a small jar or container to store your syrup
- Add all of the ingredients to a small saucepan.
- Allow to simmer for 10 – 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the syrup coats the back of a spoon.
- Allow the syrup to cool.
- Strain through a fine mesh sieve or a piece of cheesecloth into a small jar.
- Cover and store in the refrigerator for up to one month.
- To use, just add it to hot coffee. I use about a Tablespoon personally but use more or less depending on your tastes. To make a latte add 1 Tablespoon of the syrup to six ounces hot milk and 3 ounces of espresso or very strong coffee.
For a real treat I top my coffee with whipped cream and sprinkle of cinnamon and nutmeg, and then just sit back and sip it while I dream of falling leaves and hayrides!
It doesn’t get much better than that!